Sunday, January 01, 2006

Flashing You the Big Five-Oh!

Hey there! Happy New Year! Sheila Key here. Greetings from "Mi Studito," my little corner of the world and "center of the universe" for a book called 50 Ways to Leave Your 40s: What to Do When Midlife Crisis Is Not Enough. As its author (working a 12/01/06 deadline), I expect to clock a lot of hours in this very spot during the next 333 days.

Thanks for dropping in! (Writing tends to be lonely work, especially for an extrovert like me.) You are among my very first visitors. Please! Make yourself at home, and I'll give you the nickel tour.

50 Ways to Leave Your 40s (ISBN 1-57731-545-6) is due in bookstores in Fall 2007. According to my contract with New World Library, it'll contain:

“50 humorous and encouraging short essays about holistic health and happiness at midlife, buttressed by solid advice from subject-matter experts, presented in a reader-friendly and bite-size format.”

Sounds like fun, yes? I'm hoping you think so, because--well--this blog ain't just writing practice for me. Picture this as a beautifully engraved invitation on pearly paper that feels lovely between your fingers:

The Honour of Your Presence is Requested among the Pages of a Book that promises to be a Fun Read!
(and to feel lovely between your fingers)


In other words, I invite you to share your midlife stories for possible inclusion in "50/40" (as my editor fondly calls it). During this "writing year," I will periodically post new "Blog-Me-Back" prompts as a sort of Call For Entries for material befitting my "Way of the Week" (i.e. whichever chapter I'm writing at the moment). PLEASE VISIT THIS BLOG OFTEN -- AND TELL YOUR FRIENDS! -- because I really want 50/40 to resonate as universally as possible. You can laugh, but my aim is nothing short of touching hearts and changing lives. Yes, and tickling funny bones, too.

So Blog Me Back, would'ja? Clicking on "Comments" at the bottom of this post will get you started. Should you prefer NOT to create a "blogger" account (it's fun, but hey!), then please email me "the old-fashioned way" at sheilakey@50waystoleaveyour40s.com. Just click on the email link along the left side of this page, above.

Tell me: What's up with YOU in midlife? To borrow a title from one of John Cusack's early films, "Say Anything"!

Here are the chapters I'm writing now:
  • Way #4: Run for Your Life (Or Maybe Just Walk)
  • Way #5: S-t-r-e-t-c-h---I-t---O-u-t
  • Way #6: Pause
If these chapter titles aren't enough to inspire the storyteller in you, check back in coming days, and I'll have "Blog-Me-Back" questions that call for more focused input. In any case, do drop by again and again. And do bring lots of friends!

Finally, should you want to learn more about 50 Ways to Leave Your 40s -- to see the full chapter list, read excerpts from the manuscript, even peruse the proposal I sent to New World Library -- please visit the official website at www.50waystoleaveyour40s.com. Again, you'll find a handy-dandy link along the left side of the page, near the top of this blog.

Thanks again for visiting. It's been a pleasure! Hope to hear from you soon.

Ciao for now,
Sheila



11 comments:

Sheila Key said...

Does Lloyd, Cusack's character, really say that? Wow, maybe all Sheilas talk with their hands. And does his girlfriend in the movie really share your name? Wow again! I guess I invoked the right movie title then. Thanks for posting! /sk

Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

Sheila,

Just stumbled across your blog (I tend to stumble a lot, ever since the "Big 5-0 tripped me up a couple of years ago!) - -

ANYWAY - - looks like a fun blog, sounds like a fun book. I will definitely be checking back often!

Liz

Sheila Key said...

Well hey there, Dizzy Ms. Lizzy! You are, to my knowledge, the first visitor to my blog whom I don't personally know. Glad to meet'cha!

You mention stumbling. As it happens, my "Way #4" is about walking/running, so naturally I'm talking *feet*. Anything edifying to say on this -- or any other -- subject? Hope you'll Blog Me Back!

Thanks for blogging!
Sheila

Peg Spencer said...

Sheila - This looks like a great book! I came across it wandering the Southwest Writer's website. I'm 47, so this concept of "leaving my forties" in a healthy way truly appeals.

Somewhere in here you asked about feet in your forties. I have a pearl of wisdom about that.

Lots of us, especially in the dry southwest, have dry, cracking soles, especially on the heels. Sometimes the cracks or the skin around them have a yellow color. It's raw-ther unattractive, dah-ling. You try lotion, you try pumice stones, you get pedicures..nothing works. Well, it turns out that the cause of this is often (drumroll please)---a fungus infection! What? Fungus in this dry climate, you ask? Yep. Trust me (I'm a doctor). [heh heh - doncha love it when we say that?] Seriously, try this: After you shower, go after that thick, dry, cracking skin with your weapon of choice - pumice stone, file, even a razor (careful!). Then, when you've removed most of the stuff that doesn't hurt to remove (dead calloused skin), apply an antifungal cream and rub it in well. Do this every day for two weeks and tell me your feet aren't better! They will be.

Hope this is useful.

Good luck with the book!

Peg

Sheila Key said...

Dear Dr. Pegarooni,
I am so glad you told me about foot fungus! I'm gonna work it into my walking chapter, where, naturally, we talk feet.

Hey, as long as we're on the subject... got any advice for the stink-footed? God love 'em, they can be hard to live with!

Thanks for writing.
Sheila

Peg Spencer said...

Sheila - I'm pleased that my foot pearl was helpful to you. I should clarify one thing - I said "try it for 2 weeks" which might suggest that 2 weeks will clear it up forever. Alas not. It's usually a chronic condition that needs continued attention.

As to those pobracitos, the "stink-footed". Again, this is often a fungal issue. Fungi love dark, warm, moist environments, like inside sweaty tennis shoes. Basic measures that can help are

1. frequent changing of socks. Especially change after exercise.
2. wear socks that "wick" moisture away from the foot. In med school, they taught us that this meant white cotton socks, but I know that technology has progressed since then, and I'm sure there are better, "wick-ier" materials to be found now.
3. Antifungal medicines help. Creams, powders, sprays - all can be found in your local drugstore. I like creams or ointments best for effectiveness.
4. Don't buy your shoes at a thrift store! You can catch foot fungus that way. Sometimes shoes can be successfully treated with antifungal spray, but if the shoe continues to stink, (regardless of where you purchased it) get rid of it.

Again, hope this is helpful. If there's anything else I can offer an opinion on, please ask. Obviously I don't mind running my mouth. ;)

Peg

Sheila Key said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheila Key said...

Oh, but you run it so well! I really do appreciate this info, Peg.

As it happens, I'm thinking of gathering a -- well, I guess you could say a "posse" of midlifers, 50 of 'em (of course)... people who'd be interested in staying connected to 50/40 (a.k.a."the book") during its journey into the light o' day, reading the latest, commenting as the urge moves them. I know this is exactly what blogging is, but I'm keen on being able to "narrowcast" to just this posse of 50. Guess I'm talking "listserve" right?

Wanna join the "50/40 Posse" Pegarooni? You and our former pediatrician (ran into her just last night and she said yes)could be the beginnings of my 'panel of experts'! If you're "in" send your email address to me @ sheilakey@newmexico.com. Either way, I thank you most kindly for blogging with me!

Cheers!
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Knock 'em dead, Sheila. What a cool idea for a book!

Sheila Key said...

Hi Bo. Sure, why not? Sounds interesting! Thanks for asking -- and for visiting my blog. And tahnks to Diane, for her encouragement to do so.

Love, Sheila

Anonymous said...

HI Sheila,

i was sent by your pal Diane whom i have had the pleasure of corresponding with via Zaadz.com.

How may I be of service to you? What in particlar do you need feedback or support around? I'd be happy to offer support.

Mary
maryandkeith@comcast.net
please write me a cc here cus i get lost in cyber space! thanks!

Authors Interview with Pat McMahon

PAT'S LAST WORDS... Sadly (er, cheaply), when Peg and I ordered a copy of our appearance on the show, we opted for merely our "segment" -- as opposed to the whole show, or even the first half-hour. While this saved us all of ten bucks or something, it also, tragically, left off "the money quote" --- that is, what Mr. McMahon had to say when they got back from commercial. "Don't worry," he said. "The Loofah Lady is gone!" And indeed I was, along with my trustee sidekick and coauthor, Dr. Peg ---- off to tape another interview across town. (This was in Phoenix.) Let me see if we've got that one linked here -- it's called "Your Life: A to Z" ...

Authors Interview on KCHF TV