Friday, April 07, 2006

Habit Forming

For more than half an hour now, I've been sitting here like Charlie Kaufman (as played by Nicholas Cage) in "Adaptation" -- body slouched at my keyboard, fingers poised to tap out brilliance, mind straying anywhere but toward the task at hand. Every fiber of my being wants to go back to bed, but the (shall we say) non-fibrous part of me is determined not to.

I think of Wayne Dyer, talking about Rumi's poetic advice -- "The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you; don't go back to sleep." Having decided to use this advice to compel himself into an early-rising habit, he made up his mind that whenever he awoke in the wee hours, he would force himself to at least put his feet on the floor.

"Try it," he said, "and if you absolutely must go back to sleep, then learn to sleep in a sitting position, so you can keep your feet on the floor."

So I figure I'm making progress in my bid for better habits. Even if all I do here is sit here, body slouched, fingers poised, mind straying.... at least my feet are on the floor.


Sheila - You're a better dawncracker than I am, Gunga Din! Funny - your "feet on the floor" reminds me of the admonition given my grandmother when she attended the first co-ed college in the country (Oberlin College, 1926). "Young ladies may have gentelman guests in their room as long as they maintain the following rule: Four feet on the floor, and a basket in the door. " (wastebasket) Those were the days!

As you know, my internet was down yesterday, which would have been inordinately frustrating except that I spent most of the day sleeping off a stomach virus. I'll get back in the fray today. I have a ten hour drive to Las Vegas with a plug adaptor - that oughta create productivity, eh? Kinda like your scarf-on-the-chair-arm trick.

Love
Peg

No comments:

Authors Interview with Pat McMahon

PAT'S LAST WORDS... Sadly (er, cheaply), when Peg and I ordered a copy of our appearance on the show, we opted for merely our "segment" -- as opposed to the whole show, or even the first half-hour. While this saved us all of ten bucks or something, it also, tragically, left off "the money quote" --- that is, what Mr. McMahon had to say when they got back from commercial. "Don't worry," he said. "The Loofah Lady is gone!" And indeed I was, along with my trustee sidekick and coauthor, Dr. Peg ---- off to tape another interview across town. (This was in Phoenix.) Let me see if we've got that one linked here -- it's called "Your Life: A to Z" ...

Authors Interview on KCHF TV