Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ruminating on Rumi

The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don't go back to sleep.
You must ask for what you really want.
Don't go back to sleep.
People are going back and forth across the doorsill
where the two worlds touch.
The door is round and open.
Don't go back to sleep.


I found it! Last week, over at my friend Mary's house, I caught a bit of Wayne Dyer's latest PBS special. Mary had seen it once already, had even urged me to be on the lookout for it, as it -- that is, he, Dr. Dyer -- had helped Mary out of a funk. His message had given her enough of a nudge to overcome the quagmire of midlife inertia that had engulfed her; Dyer's message helped Mary to get moving again. Now, with her finger on the 'pause' button, she was rolling tape, capturing every word (and editing out the repeated pledge breaks!). I thought I had dropped by Mary's house for a quick hello. Instead, I helped myself to a piece of couch and settled in for an hour.

SO MANY THINGS that Wayne Dyer said really spoke to me, but none so much as these two lines he borrowed from the Persian religious scholar and poet Rumi:

"The breeze at dawn has secrets to tell you.
Don't go back to sleep."

I will be honest: I love to sleep. Were sleeping an Olympic event, I'd be a gold medalist many times over! Today, finding the full verse in my husband's copy of The Essential Rumi, translations by Coleman Barks with John Moyne (ISBN 0-7858-0871-X), I smile knowingly at the thrice-written line: Don't go back to sleep. Can't you just hear the soul struggling, "back and forth across the doorsill" between the snugly warmth of continued dreaming and the bracing chill of new-day wakefulness?

Speaking of... it's time to rouse my sleeping babes from their beds -- not an easy task so soon after "springing forward." Oh, but it is a school day and, with "Dad" at work -- doing his station's pledge breaks* -- it's all up to me, Mom, to get them there.

More soon.
Love, Sheila

* "his station" is KUNM in Albuquerque, streaming live (should you care to tune in) at http://www.kunm.org/listen/.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a great quote! I have had so much trouble getting up the past two days since Daylight Screwup Time began (or ended, whichever it is). Maybe I'll tape this poem to my forehead so I see it first thing when I force my eyes open!

Don't go back to sleep!

Peg

Authors Interview with Pat McMahon

PAT'S LAST WORDS... Sadly (er, cheaply), when Peg and I ordered a copy of our appearance on the show, we opted for merely our "segment" -- as opposed to the whole show, or even the first half-hour. While this saved us all of ten bucks or something, it also, tragically, left off "the money quote" --- that is, what Mr. McMahon had to say when they got back from commercial. "Don't worry," he said. "The Loofah Lady is gone!" And indeed I was, along with my trustee sidekick and coauthor, Dr. Peg ---- off to tape another interview across town. (This was in Phoenix.) Let me see if we've got that one linked here -- it's called "Your Life: A to Z" ...

Authors Interview on KCHF TV